Sunday, December 3, 2017

Getting to the Top is Easy, Getting Back Down is a Different

I am halfway through my  major curriculum for a bachelor's degree in healthcare administration. I have one year left until I graduate from Valdosta State. As I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I am looking back to how I got to where I am. Every now and then, I post to my Instagram a photo of either a good memory, some food I made, or something I did during the day or week. But today, I posted an old picture from freshman year, and the caption "Climbing a mountain is one thing, but knowing how to get down is another."

As I study for finals week, and finish my last minute assignments, I recall something a professor told me when I began in the healthcare program. When I took Dr. David Au for healthcare management (HCAD introduction course) in the spring, he walked in carrying the textbook, papers, and K'nex pieces. On the board, Dr. Au put up a picture of  Mount Everest, the tallest mountain in the world. He asked us if it was possible to get to the top of the mountain. Obvious answer, yes! We know it is possible to get to the top of Everest, but it is equally possible to get down. The question is, how do we get down? We see the future, we have goals, and we usually know what it takes to reach our goals, but what does it take to get back down? Sure, you can back track, but what happens if your tracks are covered or if you cannot find your way? Getting to the top is one thing, but getting down is a different thing.

Keep in mind this quote from Ed Viesturs, "Getting to the top is optional, but getting down is mandatory." We all look to the top. We all have people that come through our lives and make impacts, and those folks can help us get to where we want to be. I have served in different political positions and roles in the eight years. People often ask me, "Joel, how did you get to where you are today?" Simply put, a door opens, and plenty more open after that, but through and through, I never forgot who got me to open the door. I never forgot my teachers, family, friends, professors, and colleagues who pushed me into different situations. For every situation they put me in, I grew in to a different person because they made an impact. They put me into positions that challenged me, inspired me, and allowed me to thrive. So far, they helped me get to 3/4 of the way.

At the end of last year, I sent an email to my high school educators. While I keep in touch with most of them, I thought it would be best to inform them of my progress. In the end, I made sure to thank them for there help in getting me where I am. You see, it is easy to get on with our lives, and often enough, we forget what got us to where we currently are. As we enter the holiday season, filled with family, friends, and, food,  each person will have some part in making the holiday season cheerful and bright. Each person is a stop along the way to the top, but how will you come down? As leaders, we know that a good leader does more than carry a title, and some leaders do not carry a title at all. Good leaders take the extra mile. They go further, push higher, and carry the team to the finish.  The finish is not the top of the mountain, but the bottom. While you spend time this season with family, friends, food, consider the leaders who got you to where you are today. Consider the leaders that we have in our lives, and how we help them get to where they are today. While getting  to the top is important, getting back down is about understanding what got us there in the first place. We can always strive for the top, but we must know how we got there.

To my friends and family:
Thank you for getting me where I am today. Everyday, you make me a better man and give me strength to continue to work hard by pursuing my goals in education, cooking, politics, and more. You are the people that keep me grounded. For everything you do for me, thank you.

To my colleagues, coworkers, educators, and peers:
Everyday, we work harder to climb our mountain. Everyday creates a new challenge. As the saying of Carpe Diem, "Seize the Day," formulates in my head, I cannot thank you enough for helping me rise to the challenge. Good leaders are not born or bred, but good leaders grow from the ones around them. I have seen people rise to power through popularity, and these are not always the best of leaders. In healthcare, we owe it to all we serve to follow a high standard of care, and a good leader will follow this same standard to the end. As many of us strive to make it big in the healthcare industry, each of you are in my life to help me, and we continue to push each other through and through. As you push me to be my best, I hope I have done the same for you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for making me a better professional. We are a team climbing our Everest, but while we are looking to the top, we are looking back down too.


"Getting to the top is optional, getting to the bottom is mandatory." -  Ed Viesturs



Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Holidays, and a Happy New Year!!!

- Joel

Twitter/IG: @RealJoelPollack






No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Been a While. Let Me Explain.

Looking back on my blog, I made a failed promise to post regularly. I apologize. I realize that it is also not wise to start off by apolog...