Tuesday, May 15, 2018

PollackCare


Welcome to the newly updated PollackCare blog.

Today, I thought I would do something a little different, and update this blog. Instead of me talking about leadership and my favorite foods (like I did with now-deleted posts), I thought I would give this blog a new tone and perspective to something I have grown to love and a career field I want to pursue. 

When I was younger, I wanted to be a doctor, but high school anatomy said otherwise. I liked business and wanted to pursue a career in a health-related field.  For over a year, I have studied in Valdosta State University's Healthcare Administration program, and there is quite a lot I have learned, and a lot that I am looking forward to learning. 

As I start my internship at Piedmont at the end of this month, I want to use this blog to highlight and reflect on what I hope to learn, what I do learn, and if there are any discrepancies or things I know that are actionable or achievable in the industry. It is no secret that the healthcare industry is in need of some serious modifications, and that the future is uncertain. 

Technological advances and legislation change almost instantly, and our textbooks are getting bigger (or smaller) every semester. Healthcare is more than just the usual doctor visits or trips to the ER. Healthcare is the state, well-being, treatment or procedure in order to ensure the health and wellness of an individual. 

In many ways, healthcare is an indefinite term depending on who you ask. However, as the future of the industry changes, we have a lot to look out for. There are many factors, organizations, and roles in healthcare, but more importantly, we can analyze the players in healthcare by looking at one shape. 

In an early lesson in healthcare administration, we learn that one shape is structural. The triangle is comprised of three sides and three corners. Each of those side represents insurance providers, patients, and providers. Each of the corners represent cost, quality, and access. According to the Institute for Healthcare Improvement, The Triple Aim is designed to optimize and revitalize the healthcare industry. With three goals in mind, we can work to provide quality care that is cost effective, accessible, and with high quality. 

As I venture into administration, I hope to keep each of these goals in mind to analyze and plan for means and methods to creating wholesome care. My goal is to update this blog regularly through the summer months as I gain understanding and quality experience in administration. 


As the Triple Aim works to be the goal setting benchmark of the industry, I invite you to check out some success stories shared by IHI regarding the Triple Aim.


Cheers,

Joel 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Been a While. Let Me Explain.

Looking back on my blog, I made a failed promise to post regularly. I apologize. I realize that it is also not wise to start off by apolog...