Thursday, May 24, 2018

Week 0: Before the Internship


I begin my internship on May 29th with Orientation. With every new beginning, there is always some sort of orientation. I am thoroughly looking forward to this new experience and everything it will bring to my academic and professional career.

Earlier this week, I went to the hospital in Buckhead Atlanta for an employee health screening. Having never been there before, I thought it would be an exciting experience, and it was. After my screening appointment, I decided to explore the hospital and visit some of the folks I am corresponding with. My initial take on this hospital is that it is a beautiful campus that defines Atlanta and the Empire of the South feel. The hospital has a modern look to it, and Piedmont is adding a wing to the building.

Ahead of this internship, I am looking forward to, not only participating, but analyzing the current working operations of a hospital. I pan to work hard, and I plan to expand my professional knowledge of the industry. I already have meetings scheduled, and a presentation to give at the end of July.

Recently, I received my bi-monthly issue of "Healthcare Executive". In the issue's "Improving Patient Care," Dr. Robert Lloyd from IHI, explores improving quality is ongoing effort  through building capacity and capability for creating success and excellence in any health organization.

In my own opinion, I agree with Dr. Lloyd. The idea about creating quality and change in the industry is ongoing. The idea of the article is that capability and capacity are not necessarily hand-in-hand, but finding the right balance for all participants are crucial for success. Capacity refers to the ability to retain information, while capability  refers to the ability to utilize the retained information.

Each level of care requires someone to have an extensive wealth of knowledge and skill to a certain degree. Dr. Lloyd suggests a "dosing" method for facilitating how capable certain individuals should be in certain skills. This understanding shows that everyone has a part to learn. Administrators should strive to gain more well-rounded experiences, and the level of learning will allow each person to develop, making patient-centered care a forefront of the industry.

During my internship, I hope to explore the different working environment at different levels of the system. From C-suite executives to lowly administrators, everyone has a lot to offer the industry, and I hope to learn from a broad range of people. I am looking forward to working with a variety of people, including my fellow interns. This next part of my life is just about to begin, and I am only at the door.


Cheers,

Joel


*To access the link above, you must have an ACHE account or membership. If I can post the article, I will. In other news, I plan to write a blog post weekly on Fridays or Saturdays.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Been a While. Let Me Explain.

Looking back on my blog, I made a failed promise to post regularly. I apologize. I realize that it is also not wise to start off by apolog...